Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Mirror of Erised

Opening my mind. Facing my darkness.

The Mirror of Erised is a magical object from the world of Harry Potter. For the unfamiliar, this is a magical mirror. When you look into this mirror you see yourself doing what your heart truly desires. You get to see the deepest darkest dearest wish coming true.

Simply said the most content person in the world will see their reflection as it is... like an ordinary mirror. It is but an illusion that you see. As Harry's head master Dumbledore puts it.. "Men have wasted away in front of the mirror". What you see in the mirror is so alluring that it is supposed to be very hard to tear your eyes away, hoping that what you see is real. When Harry first looks at the mirror he see's himself with the dead parents he once had and doesnt even remember. So that proves how unreal the image is.

Why am I going on and on about this mirror? Because I want to make sure there's no room for doubt before proceeding. When I was recently re-reading the 6th book in the series for the gazzilionth time this thought occured to me. If I looked into the mirror right now what would I see? I have asked myself this question a long time back, but then all I really wanted was to finish college and get a job.

What will I see? I knew... inspite of trying to fool myself that all I wanted was everything but that.. I knew. It's worse than facing your fears. Facing the fact that you desire something so bad that you can feel it in your bones, yet knowing that just like the reflection of The Mirror Erised, it'l never come true. It takes a great deal of courage to face your greatest weakness and acknowledge its existance. Maybe in a few years things will change. Maybe life would get so pleasantly complicated that this would seem really frivolous. Only time will tell.

So think about it. If you looked into the Mirror of Erised what will you see? what will you REALLY see?

1 comment:

Pi said...

You set out for a journey with a destination in mind... but once you get there you realize that it was the journey which brought you more happiness than the destination itself... the Mind is the mirror erised, what a person sees, how he or she sees it depends on the mind behind it... and the thing about it never coming true... you forget, Harry also sees himself holding the Philosophers Stone in the mirror... and it does come true :) ...